6 Brilliant Home Decorating Styles For Your Seattle Home
Have you wondered, “What are the many interior design styles?” You may feel like a change is in order with your own decor styles, but you need help figuring out where to start. There’s a look for everyone and every season, and we’re here to help you find your types of interior design styles.
Here, we will break down the six most popular interior design trends, so you can easily implement them.
What Are the Best Decorating Styles for Your Seattle Home?
Modern decor is a popular interior design style that emphasizes clean lines, minimalism, and a focus on function. While modern décor is often associated with cooler tones and sterile spaces, it can be warm and inviting if the intention is there.
Here are some tips for creating a modern look in your home:
- Choose a neutral color palette: Modern decor typically relies on a neutral color scheme. This doesn’t mean that your space has to be boring, however. Try using different textures and finishes to add interest and detail to your neutral space.
- Focus on function: Modern spaces are all about functionality. Choose furniture and decorations that serve a purpose or multi-purpose. Selecting beautiful pieces that offer storage can help spaces appear less cluttered and sleeker.
- Embrace minimalism: Less is more when it comes to modern décor. Modern styles rely heavily on a simpler and clean aesthetic with minimal items out on display. Rather than filling your space with lots of small items, choose a few larger pieces that make a statement.
- Incorporate natural materials. Modern spaces often feature natural materials like wood, stone, and glass. These materials add texture and interest to a room while keeping the look clean and simple.
- Keep it simple: The most straightforward way to achieve a modern look is to keep your space free of clutter and unnecessary items. Choose furniture with hidden storage and decorations that aren’t too busy. Stick to a neutral color palette and use clean lines throughout your space.
There are endless possibilities and options when it comes to decorating your home. But if you’re looking for a timeless look that will never expire or go out of style, you can’t go wrong with a traditional style.
If you’re unsure where to start, here are some tips for decorating your home in a traditional style:
- Choose classic furniture pieces: The traditional style is all about classic pieces that will stand the test of time. Classic furniture is bulkier and cozier since it often incorporates more detailed woodworking and more throw pillows.
- Stick to a neutral color palette with deep tones: The traditional style is known for its neutral colors like white, black, gray, and different hues of brown and tan. You can still add pops of color, just be sure to keep it subdued and use colors that complement the overall look of your space.
- Incorporate classic design elements: The traditional style is all about incorporating classic design elements into your space. Think crown molding, wainscoting, fireplace mantels, carved woodworking, filigree, and built-in shelving.
- Hang artwork and mirrors: Artwork and mirrors are essential in any traditional space. Choose pieces that complement the overall look of your room and hang them at eye level.
- Add personal touches: The best way to make a space feel like your own is by adding personal touches throughout the room. Hang family photos, add decorative lamps, display collectibles, add a fine china hutch, or put out items that have sentimental value.
There are many different contemporary decorating styles that you can use in your home. You can use various colors, patterns, and textures to create a simple contemporary look in your home. You can also use specific furniture and accessories to achieve your desired home decor styles.
- Monochromatic colors: You can use monochromatic colors in your home by using a single color and all its different hues for the walls, furniture, and accessories.
- Different patterns and textures: Patterns and textures among fabrics, wallpapers, and flooring can add depth and personality since this style utilizes minimal decorative accouterment.
- Intentional furniture: contemporary furniture usually airs on the more simple and sleek side of design. Contemporary pieces don’t usually offer storage, so having plenty of closet space helps achieve this style.
- Different materials: Materials such as glass, metal, and wood can be used in your home to create a sleek look.
- Lighting fixtures: Lighting fixtures such as lamps, modern chandeliers, track lighting, and recessed lighting are available in many contemporary styles, which can also help add small personalized touches to your room.
Rustic home decor is typically a combination of natural elements like stone, wood, and metal with a more earthy color palette. This interior design is achievable with new construction and rustic home décor items found at antique stores, flea markets, or even garage sales.
- Natural materials: Use raw materials like wood and stone, and steer clear of anything too modern or sleek. Ensure the room illuminates plenty of natural light during the day and warm yellow, orange, or red lighting in the evening.
- Use earthy tones: Paint your rooms with brown, green, red, and orange tones. You can also incorporate pops of color with accents like throw pillows or blankets in brighter shades and simple patterns.
- Incorporate antiques: Focus on displaying rustic pieces like those with exposed beams or distressed finishes, antiques, distressed fabrics, old heirlooms, splashes of gold or silver, hand-carved items, and artistic works from different cultures around the world.
Eclectic style is about mixing and matching different elements to create a unique and personal space. One of the great things about eclectic style is that there are no hard and fast rules. You can mix different colors, textures, and patterns to create a look that’s entirely your own.
If you’re unsure where to start, here are some tips for creating an eclectic space:
- Start with a solid base: Choose your favorite color (or white) as a base wall color for your starting point. This will give you a blank canvas and help ground the space.
- Add in additional colors: Once you have your solid base, add more colors with furniture, accessories, and art. Choose colors that you love and that make you feel happy. Standard colors can include earth tones or retro bohemian rainbow colors such as Fuschia, Indian yellow, rustic orange, emerald green, turquoise, dusty rose, indigo, etc.
- Mix different textures: Having several textures adds interest and depth to your space. Use various materials such as wood, paper, metal, glass, crystals, and fabrics.
- Incorporate personal items: Eclectic style is all about making your space personal. Incorporate things that have meaning to you, and that tell your story.
- Edit your space: Once you’ve added your favorite elements, it’s time to evaluate. Look at what you have come up with and determine what needs to go and can stay. The goal is to create a room that feels cohesive and pulled together. Remove anything that sticks out and appears out of place.
Coastal decorating styles are perfect for those who want to bring the beauty and tranquility of the ocean into their homes. There are many unique ways to achieve this look, which can be as simple or elaborate as you want. The key is to choose pieces that reflect the colors and textures of the beach and to arrange them in a way that creates a zen atmosphere.
- Colors: The colors of the sea and sky should be your starting point, and you can build from there with accents in the sand, coral, and other beach-inspired hues. Try using blue as your dominant color to capture the feeling of being by the water.
- Coastal-themed furniture: Oversized sofas and chairs with plush cushions are perfect for relaxing, while nautical-themed pieces like Adirondack chairs, rattan pieces, or captain’s chairs can add a touch of whimsy. If you want to go all out, look for furniture that’s been distressed or weathered to give it a proper beach feel.
- Marine accessories: Seashells, starfish, coral, netting, macrome, rope, anchors, and other sea-inspired decorations are perfect for adding a touch of the coast to any room. Pieces of driftwood can create attractive centerpieces or wall hangings.
- Fresh flowers: Arranging beautiful blooms in a vase is a simple way to add a pop of color and bring the outdoors in.
Choose The Decor That Best Reflects Your Personal Taste
Hopefully, this enlightening compilation of historically significant architectural and decorative traditions will spark your imagination. If you still need help achieving a style you’ll love, contact Brilliant Staging & Design to speak with an expert designer.